Tuesday, April 30, 2013

MAKs (May Acts of Kindness)

MAKs (May Acts of Kindness)
The last two months have been, to put it mildly, *insane* at our house, especially April.  I'll spare the gory details but needless to say, I'm thrilled that May is finally here.

The result of all this craziness is that I am now left tired, disorganized and cranky.  I feel as if I'm behind on 500+ projects or 'should do' items.  I'm not sleeping well, not feeling well and not functioning well.  My house is suffering from chronic 'stash and dash' cleaning.  I don't remember the last actual conversation with my hubby; we text a lot but are operating a bit like ships in the night. My kids are losing homework assignments, pawing through piles of clean but not folded laundry for clothes and have not had a consistent bedtime in weeks.  There is also a fair amount of bickering and miscommunication.  As you can see, it's been pretty ugly around here and I'd like it to stop.

My plan of attack?  Well, I've found in life that the best way to get back on track is not to hunker down and focus on ourselves but rather to be intentional about focusing on others.  So, for the month of May, my kiddos and I will be doing May Acts of Kindness.

This picture is a mural that we helped paint at a local school last weekend as part of our church's Weekend of Service.  It was so much fun and felt awesome to get out of our routines to do something specific and unusual to make other people's lives better.


I know lots of people do Radom Acts of Kindness in December but I always seem to buck tradition and like to do things a little off kilter.  Also, it is generally impossible to add one single thing more to the December calendar.  And, people need love and consideration just as much in May, right?  So, here goes!

I'm going to try to keep it as simple as possible, as creative but not costly as possible and as thoughtful as possible.  Also, I'd like my kids to participate so what we end up doing will be mostly kid friendly.  Anyone have ideas for us to do?

I'll post an update how it goes!

1 comment:

  1. Jordan and I just read your post, and we love the concept! We just did a mini-brainstorm:

    1)Tote kids, windex, and rags to friend's houses and offer to wash their car windows. Your friend will feel loved, because sitting in a car with a clean windshield feels like sitting in a completely clean car.

    2)Let the kids each donate a small amount from their allowance, take them to a coffee shop or fast-food place, and let them decide whose food they want to pay for as a secret surprise.

    ReplyDelete